Thursday, September 24, 2009

Have You Counted Your Blessings Lately?

How often do you count your blessings? Regularly? Now and then? Often? Daily? Whenever
you're reminded to do so? How often do you think you should count the many gifts that God
has given you? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Probably every day, hey?
Take time with me to recall and list some of the people, events, and things that we should be
consistently thankful for, including those of years past, as well as what you're enjoying today.
For me, I'm thankful for my PARENTS. I trust that you had good, godly parents who gave you
life and reared you. My dad was a hard working, caring man, who died at the age of 33, while I
was still just 11, the oldest of four. I remember him bringing home my first mitt and baseball,
taking me to Pirate games and on Lake Erie fishing trips, and setting up a volleyball net in our
driveway for the neighborhood kids to play. Of course, there are many other invaluable
recollections of him, but I'm especially thankful for the way he loved my Mom, and for their
dutiful persistence in taking us to the Canonsburg Methodist Church.
My mother, also now deceased, had no marketable skills for employment after Dad's passing,
so she went to work cleaning houses five and six days a week, just to keep the four of us fed,
and to keep us together, despite numerous offers to take one or more of us in to raise. Her
obvious love for God and faith in Him was a prime factor in my subsequent salvation.
Both sets of GRANDPARENTS contributed to my happiness, with vacations at the Richeys home in Majorsville, and living for a while with the O'Donnells. I learned by being around them, and
by watching their characters and personalities. Their obvious love for each other and for me
continues to bless me to this day.
Not to belabor the point, but my siblings were/are a blessing as well. Patty, who died at
the age of 21 by drowning in the Ohio River at Wheeling, was full of life and love. Peggy,
next in line, has been a devoted mother and grandmother to her ever-growing clan. Fred,
my cross-country truck driving brother, has been a constant reason to pray daily, though he
is a safe rig operator. I continue to remind him of God's invitation and patience and love.
I remember with fondness many of my teachers, from Mrs. Call in first grade at Muse School,
to Mr. Youngman and Mr. Gaughn at Triadelphia Jr. High, to Miss Sherrick and Mr. Porter
at Triadelphia High School in Wheeling. They've all blessed me with their diligence. Going
off to Bible College, Mr. Robertson, James Morris, and Walter Buettler all have had a very
positive impact on me. Thank God for them all.
Do you have TEACHERS that you remember and should thank God for?
After leaving what is now Valley Forge Christian College, I spent about 13 years pastoring
three special churches in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Each congregation taught
me how to grow in God. I'm especially thankful for the prayer warriors in each parish, as they
kept me "on the firing line" for Jesus!
God has blessed me with three wonderful children and three great grandsons! Each of my
two sons and my daughter has brought me joy, pride, and thankfulness, in addition to the
various challenges we faced and conquered together! The grandsons, Bryce, Garrett, and
Nolan, are a joy beyond comparison, and bless me every time we chat together.
Today, I'm blessed beyond measure. My wife, Cindy, our home, my work, the columns and
blogs that I've been privileged to write, and so much more "blesses my socks off" daily! I'm
grateful for the strength and health to keep working. I thank God for our church, where the
young Pastor and his wife labor fervently for the Lord! I'm glad for my friends, including you
who is reading this posting. You've brought happiness and meaning to the word "friendship"!
MOST OF ALL, I'm blessed to be counted as "one of His", belonging to God through His Son,
Jesus Christ, as one who is "born again", or saved, or converted, or transformed by the
Holy Spirit and the Word of God (the Bible) into a "new creation". Does that make me any
better than others? No. It just makes me a candidate for eternity in Heaven, and I fully
expect to be there - maybe soon!? You, too? I pray so.
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!! Working? Count your blessings. Loved? Count your blessings. Healthy? Count your blessings. Befriended? Count your blessings. Saved? Count your
blessings.
Add to "our" list those things that you can think of. I'm sure there are many others that
are particular to your life and experiences. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment