Monday, October 19, 2009

With Wings Like.......Seagulls?!

I'm sure that you've read it many times, and
may have even sung the chorus as it's been put
to music, but Isaiah chapter 40, verse 31 has
a bit of a different meaning or twist to me than
the prophet wrote or intended. Let me explain:
Many years ago, when I was pastoring my second
parish, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I was
experiencing some difficulty in the church, and
with my ministry, causing me to question God's
will as to my calling, and as to my current post.
We had gone to visit family in northern Illinois,
just outside of Chicago, where there is a state
park, namely the Illinois Beach State Park, in
Zion, Illinois. The park hosts a Holiday Inn, miles
of hiking trails, a camping area, a wildlife sanctuary,
and, of course, a beach along the western shore
of Lake Michigan. On a clear day, you can see
the city of Chicago's outline against the sky.
This was a favorite retreat of mine when I
needed to spend some alone time with my God
and my inner self.
On this particular day, with the problems of my
ministry weighing heavy on my heart, I excused
myself from the family and went to my "secret"
place. It was a cool, very cloudy day, with the
usual wind blowing in off of the lake, so I had
bundled up against the elements, determined to
seek a direction or approach to the situation.
Finding an old piece of seawall, I sat down and
began to pray, meditate, and sing, an unlikely
scenario, considering the weather, but the
conditions around me were miniscule compared
to the storm brewing within me.
While sitting there, I looked around, up and down
the shoreline, and realized that my only company
were some seagulls that soared and dived into the
wind and the lake before me. No doubt they were
searching for food, going about their normal
business, but I was intrigued and entertained by
them, a bit of a diversion, I thought, from my
intention of resolving my issues.
Numerous songs and choruses flooded my mind
and voice that day, until I finally came to the
one based on our text. Having seemed unaffected
by anything around them for probably an hour
of so since I had invaded their territory, a
strange happening occurred that gave me the
peace and assurance that I was seeking.
As I was crooning the words, "They that wait
upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they
shall mount up with wings like......", suddenly,
and without any noticeable provocation, the
entire flock of hundreds of seagulls left the
sandy beach and soared as one into the grey
sky in front of me!! Eagles? No, no, not any
more, not after that precious moment! I have
a respect and reverence for eagles, but from
that day on, when I think about this verse or
sing it, it's "seagulls" that I think of and sing about,
as I believe God had an angel swoop down and
caused those birds to minister to my troubled
heart.
The problems were not problems anymore, as
I left that place encouraged and uplifted, ready
to face whatever the future held, strengthened
by hundreds of God's "little" creatures who played
a "BIG" part in restoring my spirit and resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment